Insults from a limited view

Insults from a limited view
I wear the boots, they don't wear me

Monday, January 9, 2012

6 April 2001- Part 2

After the urinalysis confirmed that I was not pregnant or under the influence of any drugs, I was brought into a red velvet room with other people enlisting in the service. The MEPS station commander entered the room. She had us raise our arms to the square and repeat the following:


I, Feeleece Mahalia Mobley, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God. 

I wonder if anyone realizes what they're swearing...I'm a fiercely loyal individual. An oath, covenant, vow or promise are the same thing to me. When I commit to something, or someone, it's 100%. There are no degrees or levels of a commitment. You are or you are not. Simple as that. I knew by joining, I was committing myself to putting myself in harms way. I've heard the oath before but as I repeated the oath with my hand raised;  what was just a bunch of words became a lot more real to me. Maybe I'm just a sentimental person, but saying the oath brought a tear to my eye.




retrieved from
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/oathofenlist.htm
 

2 comments:

  1. I remember saying that as well and when I finished Boot Camp and they gave me my Navy Ball Cap, I have to say it was the proudest day of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining and for the comment Mrs K!
    Why did you decide to join in the first place? As a woman, did you find it difficult going through boot camp? I would love to hear your stories!!

    ReplyDelete