Insults from a limited view

Insults from a limited view
I wear the boots, they don't wear me

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Insults from a limited view

The phrase, " your mama wore combat boots" was used as an insult during the "your mama" battles beginning around the late 1960's when the Women's Army Corps (WAC) integrated into the regular (all male) Army. It implied that your mother was either unladylike, had a manly appearance or was a lesbian. This also comes from a time when women in the military was almost unheard of and therefore a woman in combat boots was a woman out of her "place".  Who is given the right to determine where anyone's "place" is in this life? It's not my right to determine that and it's doesn't belong to anyone else.

What I know- the time was right for me to be in my boots. I don't see things quite the same as my peers, friends and family. I believe that my experiences in my boots have made me a better person, friend and mother. This is my journey. A lot of what I say could offend, upset or make you laugh. I believe in being candid and there is no benefit by sugar coating reality. My only hope, is that my experiences can benefit my son and help him get through the obstacles that come in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment