Insults from a limited view

Insults from a limited view
I wear the boots, they don't wear me

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Silent Night

I wanted to write this blog in chronological order; but this particular Christmas stands out in my mind more than any and I don't really know why but I wanted to share it now rather than later.

Schofield Barracks Hawaii- 2300hrs
24 December 2004

Since I had no family and my then fiance was deployed to support OIF II, I volunteered to take a battle buddy's 24 duty. He had a family and his holiday would be more enjoyable if he were able to stay awake. The NonCommision Officer (NCO) that was on duty with me had just left me to go get the bikes he wanted to set up for his kids before the awoke that morning. It was a clear and starry night. There was a slight chill in the air (keep in mind this is Hawaii and 60 degrees is chilly for someone who has been there for a while). It was 2 in the morning on a Sunday and the night was still. I walked out on the lanai to prevent myself from falling asleep and couldn't help but noticed how bright the stars were.  I thought about the night Christ was born and if the night sky was this clear. For no reason at all, I started singing O Holy Night and I didn't care who heard me. I was alone, but at the same time I suddenly felt at home. When the NCO returned, I helped him assemble his bikes and we finished right before our relief came. I had purchased gifts earlier in the week for a fellow Soldier's kids. I knew that she was having some financial struggles but I didn't want them to think that the gifts came from me. When I arrived at their home I fibbed and told the family that I was instructed to drop off some packages for Santa. Watching the kids react to the toys made my Christmas; knowing that I could do a little something to brighten someone day. Maybe that's why that Christmas in the military sticks out in my mind; the joy I received in serving someone else reminded me of why I joined in the first place. Maybe it's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment